Go Back   North West Carp Forum > Carp Fishing > UK Clubs and Venues

UK Clubs and Venues For topics on clubs and waters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Regular Monkey

Cool Basford fishery, Cheddleton

I've spent 3 sessions this week on basford fishery near cheddleton (second lake). Having heard that there was a chance of getting a 20lb fish i thought i would give it a go. In total i caught 15 fish, 3 the first day, 3 the second day and 9 the third day, pictures of the better fish are in my album if you want to look. The biggest fish was 17lb 4oz which was caught on the top using dog biscuit, bottom bait was sae baits crab and oyster topped with fake corn. Having spoke to various anglers rumours say there is a 28lb fish there but seeing is believing. All swims there will catch fish with fishing to the island being very productive, don't rule out the margins though with plenty of bushes & over hanging trees.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored links

WATCH THE BEST CARP VIDEOS ON THE WEB EACH MONTH FOR FREE!!
VISIT OUR NORTH WEST CARP TV PLAYER!

This advertisement block vanishes when you register and log-in. Click here to do so for FREE.

Old 14-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Moorlands Monkey

Never heard of a 28 coming out started fishing there about 16-17 years ago, which pool did you fish? are the rats/litter still a problem?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 14-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Regular Monkey

not seen any rats but there is loads of litter! rumour is a 28???? but av spoke 2 people who said they av ad low 20's? wot is the biggest u av ad? been fishing on the second pool.
Old 14-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Deano

Theres 20's in both pools for defo, wouldnt be surprised if one went 28 at the right time!
Old 14-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Monkey Magic

yeah mate twenties in both lakes, speak to alex and his dad, they live on the place. alex has had a few twenty's, probably all of them

my mate had a high twenty in winter last year.
Old 14-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Moorlands Monkey

brian owns the lakes and his grandson rob looks after it when he goes away ( usually to canada farming ) biggest ive known come out was a low twenty years back, so poss a 28?? Last time i fished it the rats did my head in, pool two used to have the bigger fish in but pool one was better for the runs.
Old 15-08-2010, 11:45 PM
New Monkey

I have fished the lake for years, had 2 twenties out of the first and one twenty out of the second. You always hear rumours of bigger fish but the problem is the small ones, I'd say if you are after twenties or bigger try somewhere else, could be a while before you got through to a bigger fish. The 21 of the second lake is the only twenty I have known of this year and fished it extensively throught the winter and spring uptil about 2 months ago with Alex and co. Open water spots are problably the best way to catch them, also going down and doing very short sessions on the surface does the goods.

Last edited by northernshaun; 15-08-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 17-08-2010, 07:50 AM
North West Carp Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernshaun View Post
also going down and doing very short sessions on the surface does the goods.
Indeed, I used to pop down for an hour or two just before dark. Loads of mid-upper doubles to be had from the second pool off the top, and a few scraper 20's. Never had a 20 out of the second pool but it holds the bigger fish on average.

Bizarrely, had my biggest out of the first pool, 24lb 4oz in 2005, not seen any credible evidence of bigger from any of the pools since but stopped going down a few years ago as the place was just a tip, and some of the fish pretty manky.

Just helping a young lad get to grips with it all at the moment so have taken him down a couple of times over the last few weeks for surface fishing lessons. Soon broke his 11lb pb with a nice 16lb 12oz mirror off the top last week, so there's still a few in to give you a pull,and in fariness, this one looked pretty clean and in good nick.

Place looked a little cleaner but still a shadow of what it looked like 15 years ago, and still a punishers venue in the day I imagine. Like I say, I try to wait till most have gone before going down, but those that are there are still shouting accross the lake at each other, kit strewn over three swims, etc. Perhaps just a sign of the times though, who knows?
Old 17-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Moorlands Monkey

Exactly why i stopped fishing it Julian , Its a shame as bryan could sort the place out and it used to have bins for litter years ago and randomly a boilie ban for a bit... I've seen litter in the bushes with rats rustling about bryan has had my fiver and seen it too then walked off???
Old 18-08-2010, 07:31 AM
New Monkey

Spent a lot of time down here from 2002 - 2007. I had 3 different twenties out of the 1st pool, but all 3 were scraper 20s. biggest went just over 21 if I remember rightly.

These 3 fish were also different to the majority of the other fish in there as they were very pale in colour compared to the smaller fish. I have the pictures in the UK but unfortunately I'm not there.

When speaking to a mate when fishing in france last week he mentioned that last time he was there Brian was talking about allowing night fishing on there, not sure how legit this is, but I think if Brian allows this the place will go downhill further. IMHO Brian has only ever been interested in your 5quids!!

Have also heard a rumour that he is looking at selling the place as his grandsons don't want anything do with it? Would be nice if someone decent got hold of it and sorted the place out! I'd buy it if i had the cash!!!
Old 18-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Moorlands Monkey

Yep Rob and his brother aren't interested mate never have been went school with rob and even then he wasn't interested, be surprised if he sold it on though as i think he was buying more land near to last time i fished it. Having said that if no-one in the family wants it... In the right hands it could be a brilliant fishery.