Go Back   North West Carp Forum > Carp Fishing > Collectors Corner

Collectors Corner Vintage tackle & bait section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-01-2008, 04:58 PM
North West Carp Director

Question Forshaws of Liverpool - Rodmakers

Does anybody have any info on the above rod makers?

Picked up a lovely little split cane rod made by them, and looking for a little more info. On the blank it states 'Palace 8'.

It's 8ft 2 piece and is going to be sweeeeeeeet for stalking and surface fishing.

It was sold as being a carp rod but it could well be a salmon rod or heavy spinning rod - possibly the latter going off the reel seating.

Any info appriciated - will add a pic when I get a sec.

J
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored links

WATCH THE BEST CARP VIDEOS ON THE WEB EACH MONTH FOR FREE!!
VISIT OUR NORTH WEST CARP TV PLAYER!

This advertisement block vanishes when you register and log-in. Click here to do so for FREE.

Old 24-01-2008, 05:14 PM
200 acre pit Monkey

cant say ive heard of forshaws of liverpool.had a scout about on the web mate but cant really find anything!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 24-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Ninja Moderato.r

Just drop Bally a line Julian.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:08 PM
New Monkey

Default Re: Forshaws

Hi!

Richard Forshaw was a tackle wholesaler in Liverpool, supplying just about everything from 6d packet of split shot to rods & reels. I don't think they actually made rods, but had them made by several rod-makers and added them to their catalogue.

I used to deal with them (as a fishing shop) back in the sixties & seventies (ugh) At that time there were ft wholesalers everywhere, but they mostly fizzled out in the 80s.

I wish I still had half the cane rods I have owned!

Regards

Jim
Old 15-07-2009, 08:41 PM
North West Carp Director

Nice one Jim, cheers for that.

Old 17-07-2009, 04:42 PM
North West Carp Editor

omg i used top buy my maggots in there when i was a kid ! there was a chap in there that used to re -whip rods but as to whether they produced them i dont know.

just thinking back now,.....used to buy hooks by the 20 in little square cardboard boxes with tissue paper in them
Old 19-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Super Monkey

I had still have a Forshaw's float rod bright orange one,no good for the tackle tarts of today I will take a few pics of it at weekend its stuck in loft at the moment
Old 20-05-2010, 07:20 AM
North West Carp Director

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Old 20-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Advanced Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramps View Post
Hi!

Richard Forshaw was a tackle wholesaler in Liverpool, supplying just about everything from 6d packet of split shot to rods & reels. I don't think they actually made rods, but had them made by several rod-makers and added them to their catalogue.

I used to deal with them (as a fishing shop) back in the sixties & seventies (ugh) At that time there were ft wholesalers everywhere, but they mostly fizzled out in the 80s.

I wish I still had half the cane rods I have owned!

Regards

Jim
where was your fishing shop jim
Old 19-10-2012, 09:41 PM
New Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Grattidge View Post
Does anybody have any info on the above rod makers?

Picked up a lovely little split cane rod made by them, and looking for a little more info. On the blank it states 'Palace 8'.

It's 8ft 2 piece and is going to be sweeeeeeeet for stalking and surface fishing.

It was sold as being a carp rod but it could well be a salmon rod or heavy spinning rod - possibly the latter going off the reel seating.

Any info appriciated - will add a pic when I get a sec.

J
I was browsing for information on an old rod of mine that I bought, I think in the mid to late 1950s with the possibility of perhaps having it repaired.The rod in question being the 'Palace 8' by Forshaws of Liverpool.I suppose it's possible if yours has a fixed reel seating, that by the sound of it is towards the lower part of the handle, it was sold as a salmon or spinning rod, unless someone customized it. I bought mine brand new with the adjustable floating reel securing 'collars' that the majority of rods were fitted with in those days.The rod was advertised and bought as a Pike Livebait Rod, and saw many seasons use as just that, as I never used to deadbait back then. It last saw service doubling as a pier rod back in 1965 when I had to go 'fish for my supper' to catch a few mackerel to sell around the caravan park so as to put some bread and tea on the table, but that's another story!!
Lovely rod,did what you asked of it!